Please do not put your name on the submissions or in the file name. We read these submissions blind.
Fiction writers may submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer in each submission. No previously published work.
You may only submit two entries per genre--no more than two fiction submissions and/or two poetry submissions.
Other Eligibility Rules:
- UVA undergraduate alumni who graduated after June 2011 are NOT eligible.
- UVA MFA students and alumni are NOT eligible.
- Current UVA students, staff, and faculty are NOT eligible.
- Former Meridian staff are not eligible. (If you’ve ever been on our masthead, please don’t enter.)
- Friends, relatives, and former teachers and students of current Meridian staff or its advisor are not eligible.
- Our former Meridian Editors’ Prize winners are not eligible to enter, even if their win was in another genre.
- Authors with two or more published books are not eligible. This does not include chapbook publication. This does include self-published books (If it’s been for sale and it was not a chapbook, it counts). You may enter our fiction contest if your published books were in poetry, and vice versa.
- Current subscribers may enter the Editors’ Prize Contest for the same $15 fee.